Derek J. Fields Jr.
Summary of Qualifications
Skilled in full stack web development with experience in the ember.js, Vue.js, Koa, and MariaDB.
- 2 + years of professional full stack web development
- 3+ years of experience studying and teaching in Front-End web development
- 7+ years of overall programming experience
|Figma (Design & Prototyping)||Linux/ Bash||Arduino|
|CSS 3 (PostCSS)||Google Cloud||CAD/ 3D Printing|
|HTML 5 (Handlebars)||Docker||MochaJS, JEST|
|VS Code||MariaDB (SQL)||AWS S3|
Whitebox | 2019 - 2021
- Helped build a webapp that manages warehouse inventory, wholesale orders, & client sales
- Prototyped and implemented a mobile to webapp file share system.
- Prototyped and implemented and OTP login system for warehouse employees
Freelance Web Developer | 2019
Implementing CMSs like WordPress & simple solutions using the JAMstack with Netlify.
Freelance Python Back-end Developer | 2019
Helped build the back-end for Baltimore Node's membership payment system, 'NodeWorks'.
FullBlast S.T.E.A.M. | 09/2017 - 2018
- Programmed and used microcontrollers for lights, photoresistors and stepper motors to create obstacles in an interactive robotic gaming system designed to engage and introduce the youth of Baltimore to science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics.
Digital Harbor Foundation | 09/2017 - 08/2018
Code in the Schools (Non-Profit) | 08/2014 - 2019
Computer Science Instructor/Sub
- Developed lesson plans and projects to help teach K-12 students computer science and electrical engineering. Coached a middle school robotics team. Taught many after school computer science classes. Managed many of the organization's computers.
- Taught a class of ex-offenders, in Rowdy Orbits 'Greater Than' program, front-end web development to help them get jobs in that field.
- Won multiple hackathons, most recent one being the Sixth Baltimore Hackathon
- Contributed to Code in the Schools' Technical.ly Innovation Award for Tech Mission Org. of the Year.
- Half of the ex-offenders in Rowdy Orbits 'Greater Than' program got a job in web development.
- Promoted to Computer Science Instructor 02/15 and Projects Developer 05/15.
- Led a group of teens to win 2nd place in the first Baltimore Abilities Hackathon.
- Baltimore Node (Former President)
- Code for Baltimore
- Charm City Js
- Baltimore Indie Web Club
- Google Developers Group, Baltimore
- Baltimore Hackathon 2017, 2019
- Baltimore Abilities Hackathon 2016 & 2017
- VeX Robotics Competitions
- Global Game Jam
- Code in the Schools Game Jam 2015 & 2016
- Digital Harbor Jam Game Jam 2015 & 2016
Certificates & Online Courses
- How to Use Git and GitHub
- Intro to HTML & CSS
- Intro to Java: Functional Programming
- Intro to Progressive Web Apps
- Wes Bos
- Google CodeLabs
- The BioTechnical Institute of Maryland, Inc., Baltimore, MD | 02/2014 - 09/2014
BioSTART to Laboratory Associates Program
Completed a 24-week laboratory skills program. Mastered techniques in Cell Culture, Maintaining an Aseptic Environment, Clean Room Procedures, Laboratory Math and Solution Preparation.
- CCBC - Engineering
- Capitol College - Computer Technology
- Patterson High School - Project Lead the Way Engineering Program